Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's fixin' ta 'pear fall-like here!

September 29, 2008

So remember back in the spring and I wrote about how I got allergies so bad in this here south, that I ended up with a cold? And that people say that in Tennessee allergy season comes again in the fall? Well, I have now gained a testimony that this is true. My allergies started up again about 3 days ago. And they haven't been too bad yet, only one day they were crazy, it was weird. But the good news is this time I got a cold BEFORE I got allergies, so I shouldn't need to worry about that this time around. Maybe in the fall here you get a cold, and that's what gives you allergies. Who knows? But yeah, my comp and I both woke up sick with a cold on the same day this week, both with a sore throat and the works that comes with a head cold. That was on about tues I think, but now we are both just peachy. Mom, I got a kick out of your comment in your card this week, when you were like, "just try not to get sick" or something like that. I was like, too late! :) But I'm all good now. And I'm all stocked up with Allegra this time, so bring on those southern pollens!
The weather here has been so nice for the last couple weeks. Still pretty warm in the day-time, but it hasn't hardly felt humid at all. We've felt like we were in Utah lately. It's been great. And the leaves are just starting to change around us, we are excited for the fall colors here, we hear they are just beautiful!
So has the whole gas industry been crazy in other parts of the country the last week or 2? Because gas has been crazy here. A couple weeks ago gas prices shot up to like $4.00, give or take some cents, depending on what station, because of the hurricane in TX we heard. And then last weekend on I think friday and saturday cars were lined up like crazy at the gas stations. Apparently rumor was spread that the gas was going to run out so everyone went to fill up. Kind of how these Tennesseans run out and stock up on milk, eggs, and bread when it snows half an inch... But there were some unkind exchanges between some gasoline consumers, and a gun was even pulled on someone or something. That's what we heard anyway. We missionaries pretty much just go by whatever anyone tells us--word on the street, that's all we got. So we just believe anyone! :) And then most of the gas stations around were actually OUT of gas for a couple/few days or so, it was really crazy. But we also heard from I think 2 different people that the gas situation was the worst here in the Nashville area out of the whole US. That's why I wondered.
The work was a little slow again this week, mostly because we were ill, also because most of our teaching appointments bonked us (didn't answer the door for whatever reason, or cancelled on us) but we are still slowly finding more people to teach. We are working a lot with less-actives, so that's been good.
Remember Sandy who we are teaching that is practically Mormon, but is getting surgery soon so we can't baptize her just yet? Well, the sunday that we taught her the first lesson (last week), afterward we met this cool black guy (what black guy is not cool?) across her little street who was at his mother's house, and we set a return appointment and taught him yesterday afternoon at his house. His name is Omar and he is from Jamaica. He's really great. His wife was at work, and his kids were out playing, so we just taught him, but we're going to teach him again this saturday and call him before that, so please pray that he will read the BOM and pray to know that it's true, and get the answer. I really want to teach him and his family. Last week he gave us a referral to go talk to his brother-in-law who lives near his mom, where we had met him, and we finally contacted him a few days ago at his house, and at first he wasn't overly interested, and said he was too busy for us to come teach him, but then he let us give him a BOM, and of course we took that opportunity to show him the pictures inside and tell more about the BOM that way; then we said we wanted to come back and answer any questions he had about what he read and we could tell him more, and was there really not a good time to come back and do that, he offered an available time. I was so grateful! There is some serious power in the BOM. I love that book! We are planning on teaching him this thurs, so pray that that appointment goes through and goes well. His name (he goes by) Mookie (like cookie, but with an 'm'), and he is from St. Thomas (black as well, and cool, of course :).
Alicia and Roland (and their baby, Amari) came with us to the fireside at the mission home last night, given by Pres. Hutchings, which sparked some more interest in Roland, which we are excited about. Pres. Hutchings talked about the need for a prophet, how Christ set up His church, the apostasy, and the Restoration, and did a great job, always does. We are hopefully going to have a lesson with Alicia and Roland tonight to answer their questions and hopefully come to find that Roland prayed about the church and got the answer that it is true by now (after the fireside he asked my comp, "so if you want everyone to join this church, how do you know that it's true?" or something to that effect. Golden question!, which Alicia answered by telling of her experience of praying about it and finally getting her answer. So my comp then committed Roland to praying about it last night, that's why we're hoping for the results tonight).
I love you all and i hope all is well in Zion.
Love, Sister Gurr
PS--I recently learned that we're not supposed to communicate with others besides family through email, which is why I haven't been mentioning little friends tid-bits, just so you all know. You can still email me through my sister though... ;)

No comments: