Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hey y'all

July 14, 2008

Hallo!
The last time I emailed was only a few days ago it seems, so since then, let's see...
Oh! The most exciting news is that today is Heather's 7th day of not smoking!! She has smoked for 27 years, since she was about 11 or so, and she has quit!!! We are so so proud of her, I am even a tad bit surprised that she's really gone this long. But she signed the paper promising she was quitting, and she is good to her word. It's been so exciting to see the changes in her. She dresses more modestly now, doesn't look so "hard", as a ward member mentioned yesterday, her testimony is growing all the time, she doesn't smoke any more, doesn't drink, we're still working on the morality issue, but she is trying hard. She is a totally changed person, and it has been amazing to see the literal physical changes that the Gospel has brought into her life. She is so excited for her baptism, which will be on either the 25th or 26th, she's still trying to work out her job schedule--oh yeah, and she has a job too (this is huge as well)! So pray for her to stay strong and to be given the strength to resist the temptations she still struggles with.
Yesterday at church we had a new investigator come, named Tommy. He is 43, looks hispanic, but is very American. He was taught by the Elders about a year ago, but just wasn't the right timing. So this is his 2nd time around being taught, and he said yesterday in Sunday School that he was there (at church) because he is looking for a home, and he will probably make here his home (the church; something to that effect). That was really neat to hear him say. He is trying to overcome alchoholism right now, and he got a blessing at church by 3 great members of our ward, for strength for that. We also just found out yesterday that he smokes too, which we didn't realize. But the thing is that he doesn't want to quit yet. But Heather was in his exact same situation just a few weeks ago, and we have seen miracles with her, so I don't doubt that we will see some with him. Please pray for him to be able to quit drinking totally, and to want to quit smoking. Cuz once he wants to, then we can help him quit. Then he can get baptized! :)
We are teaching this mother and daughter as of recently: Debbie (50s) and Katie (21). They just moved into our area a couple months ago because her husband died a year or so ago, and too many things reminded her of him, so she moved. She is the greatest, most lovable woman, so friendly and fun. Her daughter is really cool too. Debbie teaches/is a counselor at one of the nearby high schools, and she works with the gifted kids, which happen to primarily be LDS. So she just LOVES Mormons, loves 'em. So when we knocked on her door a few weeks ago to welcome her into the area (found her from the new move-in list, love that list!), she was so excited to see us and talk to us and had us sit down and chat with her for a bit. She is so great. Anyway, we taught her a 1st lesson a week or so ago, then Sis. Elmer and I went to visit her last week when we were on exchanges, and she (Debbie) wasn't there, but we met Katie, her daughter. We taught her about the BOM in front of her house, and gave her one, and committed her to read from it (3 Nephi 11). So then we went back this last Sat. night and taught them both together, a 1st lesson again, but much more in depth and with a lot of logic and historical backup, because we could tell that Katie was very scientific and into history (from a time we visited them in between these lessons). Anyway, it went so so well, they are so great, they are going to both read and pray about it all, and we soft-committed them to baptism ("If you were to come to know that this is true, would you be baptized?" basically). We are really excited about them. Katie is really in tune with the spirit, she has some really neat gifts of the spirit, it's really cool. I need to wrap this up, and I'll tell more later, but part of it is that she told us that everyone has a fairy--their own fairy. She stood there after our lesson and described our fairies each to us. It sounds like she's psycho, but she is actually very down to earth and really cool. So I've learned I have a fairy. :) Mine stays above my right shoulder and just kindof hovers. Sis. Arnells usually hides behind her head. And that's just the beginning of the descriptions. So now that you think I'M psycho... :)
Oh yeah, so we have a new Mission President, as of a few weeks ago. His name is Pres. Hutchings, he's from CA mostly, but moved to Lehi, UT last year. He is really really great, we love him! He is really hard working, energetic, enthusiastic, really fun, and very very in-tune with the spirit. I'm really excited to see what he does with this mission. His wife, Sister Hutchings is really nice too.
Mom and Dad, I did get the 4th of July card before the 4th, i think one or two days before even. Thank you, I loved it!
Sal, I never got the pictures with your email last week, I just got the email...maybe try again? I love you and am praying that you guys get a baby soon! You will both be amazing parents.
Rosanna, how are you feeling these days? It sounds like Steve is doing tons better, so glad to hear!
Camille and Jakey, how the heck is Utah? It sounds like you all are having a great time!
Oh, Mom, chicken salad sandwhiches on croissants is a great idea for the Froerer party I would say.:) In fact, could you mail me a couple?
Peter and Lindsay, you all alive down there in El Paso?
I love you all!
Love, Sister Gurr

No comments: