Monday, March 17, 2008

Melissa's very first letter!

Mom! 3/5/08
Don't worry, I am doing great! It's been a very long day & much effort has been spent on trying to stay awake today (kinda hard when we mostly just sat & listened to orientations all day...). But my comp is great - Sister Fuller from Preston, ID. We are alot alike--she likes cereal alot, loves volleyball, she can't walk straight either, she's been a RS Pres. in college (we didn't talk about that, she just mentioned it in something she was saying). She is super super nice & I am so thankful to be her companion.
So after I said goodbye to you guys we all went & stood in line to get our immunization records checked, where I was thrilled to discover my tetanus was expired. So happy were they to welcome me to the MTC by giving me a tetanus shot, & now I can continue to remember my first day here, as my left shoulder still hurts from it. I love this place! :)
But really, it's been fun. The other companionship that we are sharing the room w/ is really great too -- Sister Beck & Sister Harker. Sister Harker is a hoot, love her.
I love the MTC Pres., he's really funny. After we got immunizations, we got our luggage and had to stay in our rooms til the big meeting @ 4. Remember how the Pres. really stressed the importance of getting there 15 minutes early? Yeah, we 4 sisters in our room definitely got carried away chatting and laughing and unpacking in our room and arrived (after getting lost on our way, in our hurry) as the opening hymn was being sung. But don't worry, we are going to be better! Oh, and I'm the only one who wears a watch and can read the time, so the pressure is on me. My comp wears a watch, but it takes her a while to tell you what time it is, it's really funny. I don't really know why I told you the watch thing, it's really not significant...
Anyway, I better end this cuz it's morning and I need to get ready (I did go to sleep, don't worry, in fact, I got about 7 1/2 hours sleep!!! Can you imagine?! I feel amazing!! I love it here!)
But just know I am just great and survived the 1st day here. I love you!! Love, Melissa (crossed out) Sister Gurr

(on the outside of the envelope was written the following:)
PS- could you send me my mission call letter (signed by Pres. Hinckley) or a copy of it? I need it. It's in my mission packet booklet that's laying sideways on my dresser. It's in the front cover. Thank you! I love you!

No comments: